Wednesday, April 30, 2014

The Oddities Surrounding the Murder of George Tiller

The shooting of George Tiller is a tragic event.  A man lost his life, and others lost a husband, a father, friend, brother, and co-worker.  My hearts grieves for his natural family and his church family.

I cannot presume to know what Scott Roeder was thinking, but looking at his actions and reported history, it appears he somehow reasoned it was acceptable to kill a man, but unacceptable to kill babies.  Odd, isn't it?    One would think murder is murder.  Equally as odd is the outrage and disgust expressed over Dr. Tiller's murder by those who support abortion.  These folks have somehow reasoned it is acceptable to kill babies, but unacceptable to kill a man.  I don't get it.

One statement I read regarding Dr. Tiller's murder bemoaned the fact that Dr. Tiller was killed in what is considered to be a "safe place"--a church.  I agree.  God's house should be a safe place, and I am distressed whenever I hear of a killing in a church.  Dr. Tiller must have considered the church a safe place as well since it appears while there, he lacked his usual bodyguard protection.  When I read this statement, however, another "safe place" came to mind--the womb.  One would think this would be one of the safest places on earth; a place of nurturing, growing, peace and rest.  Unfortunately however, the womb has become the setting for a shocking number of violent murders.  

I am truly saddened by what happened to Mr. Tiller, but I am also saddened by the fact that Mr. Roeder and abortion supporters are blinded to the incongruity of justifying one violent murder while disdaining another. 

President Obama said, "I am shocked and outraged by the murder of Dr. George Tiller as he attended church services this morning. However profound our differences as Americans over difficult issues such as abortion, they cannot be resolved by heinous acts of violence."  Ya think?  That is exactly what abortion is--a heinous act of violence.  Can't wrap my brain around this.

No comments:

Post a Comment